Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Lifeless Life


He had never been here before. The sea ahead went on and on and on….never ending and the sands around was the only other thing left which too had no end. Comforting himself to the warm shore, he started to think. What is this place? How did he come here? Where are the others??? Then slowly but sharply it struck him- HE WAS DEAD……. How? A brutal accident.
Slowly memories flooded his mind and he sunk into them, having nothing else to do. He did not feel the passing of time. There was no dawn, no dusk, no rain, no storm, no hunger, no pain-Just the sea, the sand and him. He accepted the fact of being dead. But what now? Is this all about being dead? What about the Heaven and Hell? Or was he already in one of them? He got no answers.
Time passed on… The sea remained calm, the sand sand and him him. Then one fine day, he heard a voice, “Good Morning”. There was no one around, so he looked to the sky and replied, “So its morning now?”
The voice laughed, “No, not for you”
“I see. You are God?”
“Well…. You may call so, but I am just you”
He did not understand, but thought not to enter into complexity of the matter. So he moved ahead….as always.
“I suppose I am dead. So…..What now? What do I do?
“How old are you?” asked the voice business like.
“35”
“What did you do these 35 years?”
“Well…..many things”
“Namely…?”
“Ah…I studied, I learnt various things, then I worked, earned and…married and when all was going fine, I am dead!”
“Hmm…this was all you’ve been doing for 35 years?”
“You want me to account for every day I lived?”
“No. Didn’t your neighbor do the same? Your father, your grand father, your boss, your servant”
“Well….yes, so?”
“So you are the same as any”
“No, I am quite intelligent than most of them and…. and had worked all my way from scrap. I am the only cause and reason for what I am today.”
“What did you work for?”
“Well….to earn. To live happily”
“What did you earn?”
“money, of course. Not a penny from my father or in-law”
“Money? The piece of paper that you people made?"
“yes…..but...”“you studied till you were 22 and worked till 35, only to acquire that piece of paper?”
“Its not just a piece of paper. Its a medium of acquiring things that you need, that could make your life easy and joyful.”
“So you enjoyed your life?”
“Yes, I certainly did”“What did you enjoy the most?”
“I love writing, reading, traveling……”
“Then I assume you spent most of the time doing these activities?”
“No, my work would not permit that. I wrote when I found time, which wasn’t much. Traveling only on business……but that’s how life is. You can’t have all you love to have.”
“You loved your work?”
“That gave me money….”
“So you had money, but no time to do what you loved to do”
“In a way…..Yes.”
“Then what was the purpose of earning money, which could not give you the love of your life?”
He remained silent….and the voice continued.
“I see that you’ve spent half of your life in studies that had hardly got anything to do with the rest of your life???”
“Because that’s what they taught us in schools…..”
“No. Because that was what YOU chose”
“Had I chosen different field, I would face the same things there. There isn’t much change in any.”
“But what if you had chosen the field you would have loved to be in?”“
Writing……? I would have not earned much”
“Fool. You would have earned the love of your life…and enough of your money to live with.”
“But I was not good enough in writing”
“Were you, when you started to work?”
Silence again….the voice continued.
“Success always follows perfection. But you can never perfect, what you don’t love. Every being is born for a purpose. To find that, you will need and get help, but to follow it is in your own hands.”
“But I am dead”
“Are you……?”
He woke up to find himself again in a new surrounding-this time a Hospital, his wife beside him. The doc said it’s a miracle, an act of God that he survived, but still got his fees paid.
He was in care for a few days. Longer days, they were, when he pondered silently on the same question day and night. But before long, his cell rang, "Morning John…(blah)……… so when do you return?”
He was silent.....
Then replied, “Right away sir. Update me.”
It’s not often that people realize what to do in life…… but when they do realize they, lack the will to follow it. Give life a chance. The world is full of people who had already done things you do now…. Be different. Choose your love and it shall see to your life.

3 comments:

Mustafa Quilon said...

Life's not about WANTING what you LOVE, It's LOVING what you GOT!

cliche' but TRUE :)

NM said...

Good job Rangan. Liked it :)

Unknown said...

Trully said...belive in ur self and get to it...it will be urs sooner or later...

Good Flow...